Sunday, April 19, 2009

Cleveland Eats: Sullivan's Irish Pub and Restaurant, Lakewood, Ohio

A couple of weeks ago, myself and John N. went to Sullivan's Irish Pub & Restaurant for Sunday Lunch. I was surprised by how quiet it was, fully expecting to be barely able to get a seat. I can only imagine the place is hectic later in the day. It certainly should be - the food was excellent. Sullivan's had been recommended by Sue Henderson, one of the owners of Gaelic Imports (aka, "The Irish Store", the source of most of my imported British food and chocolate). I'd been hoping to check the place out for a while, so I was glad to finally have the opportunity.

The place itself was really quite nice. It reminded me a little of a bar/restaurant I recently visited between Portush and Portstewart when I was back over the New Year, so I suppose that's a thumbs up from me. It might be a nice place to hang out during the day, actually.

I tried the shepherd's pie, and John had the corned beef sandwich - we had the boxty with cheese dip for an appetizer.

The pie was huge, filling and tasty. There was a nice rich beef gravy with quality steak and a good mix of vegetables. I had a side of parsnip and carrot mash, for old time's sake. That was pretty good too, and not something you'd find in every Irish pub. The boxty was decent and the cheese dip was excellent. John spoke highly of the corned beef sandwich, but I didn't like the look of the fries provided - I'm usually disappointed in pub fries though.

It wasn't cheap - $12 for the pie was probably about three dollars too much, though it was pretty much a dinner entree rather than a lunch snack.

Overall, I was impressed with Sullivan's and intend to go back soon.
Also, they do a good pint of Guinness.

Note: I'm going to try not giving scores for a while - I'm not entirely sure they are really helpful in all cases.

No comments:

Post a Comment